Summer break is here for most people and school is out until August. Woohoo! Summer is a great time to get out and travel, spend time with family and friends, and also catch up on your beauty sleep. Here are the top ten summer activities, in my opinion:
10. Sleep. Summer is a wonderful time to catch on sleep. After long nights of studying and homework, sleeping can make you feel more relaxed and refreshed for when you do other things over the break. Just make sure you don’t sleep the summer break away!
9. Read. Most people would say, “Wait, what?! You read over the summer? That’s school related, why would you ever do that?”. I think that reading is a good way to spend time and relax in the sun or cool shade. Reading can improve your vocabulary and you’ll still know some things when you do head back to school.
8. Coming in as the 8th best thing to do during the summer, grow a garden. This is a good thing to do as a family and the end result is usually very healthy and yummy. Growing a garden is fun, a good excuse to be outside, builds responsibility, and is definitely worth it.
7. Start a blog. At the beginning of last summer, I started a blog and it ended up being one of the more enjoyable things I did since I couldn’t play sports or be super active. Writing a blog is really fun, improves your writing skills, and is a great way to make memories. I also think it’s cool to tell friends and family to check out your website, so that’s a fun bonus. You can build a blog through WordPress, GoDaddy, and other websites. Most blog sites have to paid for but there are sites that are free. Do what works best for you.
6. Hike. Hiking is a wonderful way to be out with nature, get fresh air, and get exercise. National parks, mountains, and even trails near your house work just fine.
5. Making the middle of the list, play volleyball. Whether it’s sand, grass, or indoor, spend time on the volleyball court. It’s a good way to prepare for high school season and club season. Sand and grass tournaments are super fun and really good for your indoor game. If you can’t get into any camps or clinics, grab a ball and at least go hit on the wall or with your friends.
4. Swim. Need a fun way to keep cool? Swimming is the way to do that. In Colorado we have places like The Bay, local recreation centers, and Water World. Water World is probably my favorite. It has so many fun rides and an awesome wave pool. I highly recommend it.
3. Travel. Whether it’s around the state, out of state, or out of the country, get out of your house and travel! This is a fun way to make memories, get good pictures, and learn something about a new area.
2. At number two, play tennis. Tennis is an outdoor sport that anyone can play. Depending on your skill level you can just hit around with friends, join a club, play in tournaments, and enjoy the sport. Tennis is another good excuse to be outside in the wonderful warm weather. Just make sure you pack your sunscreen and water. The courts can get pretty hot!
1. And the number one summer activity is, spend time with family and friends! This seems to make top ten lists quite a bit, and it should! Family and friends and super important and deserve your time, care, and attention. Spend a lot of time together doing whatever and make memories.
Be outside, have fun, and to those who are still in school, good luck with the final days and to those who are starting summer break, enjoy!