Dogs are a man’s best friend, or in my case, a girl’s best friend. Haha. In case you didn’t know, I have two silky wire-haired dachshunds named Marty and Boo. They are super energetic and the most adorable little dachshunds I’ve ever met. Dogs need to be loved, played with, and cared for. Happy dogs are the best kind of dogs. Here are a bundle of tips on how to have a happy dog:
- Keep your dog active. Take your dog for regular walks and let them enjoy get fresh air. Dogs love to be able to get up and out. This can also help keep your dog at a healthy weight and a dog at a healthy weight is much happier than a dog under or overweight.
- Play with your dog and give him/her attention. Our tail-wagging companions need attention. This can be several things like playing games with your dog, taking it to the vet for check-ups, brushing it, washing it, giving it belly rubs, rubbing behind their ears or neck, buying a new collar, and the list goes on. Your dog is a part of your family, so why not give it the same amount of love and attention that you give your mom or your sister?
- Give your dog treats. Dogs love treats, especially after good behavior, so why not reward them? Find what kind of treats your dog likes and give the treats to your dog when you can.
- If your dog is lonely, get them a friend. Having one dog works out well for some families and sometimes it doesn’t. Some dogs need another buddy to help them get through the day, mostly when they’re home alone for quite some time. From personal experience, this was true for my family. When Marty, our older dachshund, was about a year old, he got kind of lonely at home when no one else was there so we got his half-brother, Boo, the next summer, and they haven’t been lonely since then. Two dogs keep each other company and look out for each other and make the house a lot more fun.
- ALWAYS be friendly to your dog. Dogs can get upset when you’re upset or unfriendly to them. If you don’t like to be yelled at and treated poorly, then you should know that dogs are the same way. They love to be treated with kindness and by a friendly, happy person.
So I hope these tips can be used to help make your dogs happier. They deserve it! There are so many wonderful ways that can also help make your dog happy and they can be found in books, from other owners, and even online. Dogs are a part of your family and they should really mean a lot to you so why not make them as happy as can be?